Translate

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Daily Submission

I love omaplatas. I use it mainly as a sweep but I have been starting to hit it a lot in training. One thing that really helped me was a video I saw on Aesopian's site that showed Leo Kirby talking about how he gets into the omaplata. Prior to watching this, I tried to get into omaplatas the flexible way. I would try to lever my foot over his shoulder and in front of his head. Leo shows a way that makes it a lot easier for guys that aren't as flexible. The key point is gripping his elbow and rolling it up so it kind of points towards your face. This makes the transition to the omaplata so much easier. Leo shows it from butterfly or sitting guard but I have used the same principle from closed or a number of basic open guards. Here is the video:

No comments: