Translate

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Daily Submission

Last night's class was basically a carbon copy of the one I posted here. Butterfly guard has been the theme since I got there. It seems to be having an effect on me as I noticed myself using a few times while rolling last night. I still don't prefer it but I am becoming more comfortable with it. Adam seems to like taking the back from guard. This is a really hard game for me to play with my short legs. I am trying to adapt what he is showing us to my body type and I will post any solutions I come up with.

Last night was not my best night rolling. I was really tired, probably the front squats and back work I did earlier. I also wasn't very sharp in my techniques. My partner escaped a sleeve choke, 2 kneebars and a triangle. My partner managed to lock in 2 triangles and almost lock in rear naked choke. He didn't finish me but that was more because my build makes me hard to triangle and I managed to keep good wrist control even though he had my back with hooks in. I managed to tap him twice once with a sleeve choke and an arm bar if I remember correctly.

The high points would probably have to be my sweeps. They are really coming back and some of them are better then they were the last time I practiced regularly. The half guard sweeps are coming along particularly well. The focus I have putting there is paying off. The goals is to work that position to the point that it becomes a true offensive position.

I also tried out a new technique last night which may be the answer to my triangle troubles. I have a very hard time triangling people due to my thick, short legs. Eddie bravo shows a move called the Teepee in Mastering the Rubber Guard which works great when you can't quit get the foot under the knee. I will post a video of it later.

No comments: