Translate

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Daily Submission

So Monday was a pretty informal class. A lot of guys were nursing injuries from the competition on the weekend. One guy wanted to go over defenses to collar chokes and sleeve chokes so we did that for about 15 minutes. The defenses are very simple. The defense of a sleeve choke is simply to over hook the arm that is not under your head. One of the defenses to collar chokes, I like a lot. It is incredibly simple and effective. Your opponent has you in his guard and applies a collar choke with his left arm over his right arm. You take your right hand, bring it under his left arm and up trough the middle of his two arms. Then you simply "run your fingers through your hair" on the right side of your head and grab the back of your neck. The choke is defeated and you can start to work your regular guard passing game.

We rolled for about 45 minutes, which was great as it allowed me some time to work on my personal list of thing that need work. I rolled with a really new guy, I so I give him good positions and forced myself to work out of them. I also continued to improve my half guard, rubber guard and butterfly guard games. In one of the video clips I saw of Eddie Bravo, he talks about incrementally working your game up to a high level. Rather than trying something new against a guy that is your level (or better), failing and the giving up. Start by trying to run a clinic on a 3 week white belt and work from there.

Here is an article that talks about training to improve rather than using the same old game over and over which I really liked and ties in with Monday's practicce:
Zhoozhitzu do Graugardo: A-game Camping vs. making a decision to improve.

No comments: