Translate

Saturday, April 19, 2008

GSP,GSP, GSP

Awesome UFC tonight. Only one fight was a disappointment, the Quarry/Starnes fight. Starnes is a BC boy like me but the guy is just not a fighter. He is a talented athlete but doesn't like to fight. Give me a guy like Chris Leben with limited talent and a warrior's heart any day. Loved Quarry clowning him though.

GSP was dominant against Serra. He came in with a great game plan and executed it perfectly. He passed Serra's guard numerous times, which isn't easily done. Over the past week, it was pointed out to me that he passes guard the same way everytime. He presses down on the right leg, with his right hand, and he just pops the leg over. Very effective. The guys over at fightmetric.com have done the math and he improves his position 1.66 times for every takedown he scores. That is impressive. The only problem I had with the fight was the stoppage. It was just a matter of time until Serra was finished but in my opinion you should never stop a fight for knees to the body unless the fighter is in obvious distress. Matt Serra didn't complain so I think he accepted the fact that he lost but a lot of guys would.

Also respect to both those guys for the class they showed after the fight. There was no real animosity between those two. I have always wondered why people have to act like they hate each other to hype a fight. What is wrong with, "We get along fine but we are proffessionals and I would not disrespect my opponent by doing anything less then trying to kill him." Also respect to the Montreal crowd for cheering Serra after the fight.

The fight of the night for me was probably the Danzig/Bocek fight. Danzig showed very good BJJ against a tough BJJ black belt. Bocek showed he is no joke, great wrestling, great BJJ and pretty good hands too. He was just couldn't match Danzig's experience.

No comments: