Translate

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Daily Submission

I just came back from getting my ass beat and I feel great. I only kickboxed today because both the BJJ and kickboxing classes were at the same time and I am still babying my shoulder a bit. After warm up we worked a series that I had a lot of trouble with for two reason which I will go over in a minute. The series went cross, hook, cross, parry a jab while throwing a jab, cross, hook, cross, slip a cross, hook cross. I had two problems, the first is that it is a little awkward for a southpaw so it took some getting used to. The second is that I suck at slipping punches. I am more of a rocky then a sweatpea. So although I had a hard time with it, it was a very valuable drill for me.

We spar later and I went against this dude Dustin. Dustin is a true heavyweight and I am at best a super middle weight. He had like 8-10 inches on me and a good 50 pounds. It was like matching mickey ward fight Wlad Klitscho. I got hit a lot. It was a good exercise for me to work my CMD guard and practice slipping his punches. Once I got his timing down, I was more successful and landed a few good punches including a solid right hook to the jaw. But I definately got my ass beat.

I think it is important to get beat down once in a while in training. It keeps you humble, it prepares you for things get bad and it is better then getting beat down for real.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything"
Tyler Durden

No comments: