Translate

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Daily Submission

Last nights class was run by one of the blue belts while Adam is away in Edmonton, cornering one of the guys at HCF on Friday. We worked three options off of an over hook while grabbing the opposite side lapel. The first was hiza gatame, and two gi chokes. My partner today was massive. He outweighed me by 45 pounds. I couldn't even get a true closed guard on him. I think I could cross my big toes, HA! He was just come back off a layoff after surgery. He tore up both his shoulders practicing for strongman competitions.

Because he was pretty out of shape, we didn't go all out. That suited me fine, it was hard enough work just moving the weight. As has been my pattern lately, I pulled half guard and worked from there. I secured lockdown and used my legs to push him up to get double under hooks and whip up to my side. I was very surprised just how easy that was. When you try to use your arms alone it is next to impossible but with the legs it was very easy. I managed a few sweeps and to take is back a couple of times. Even going at a fairly low intensity, I was tired as hell. Just moving the weight was a good work out. Towards the end of the roll, I ended up turtling. He reach over my back and under my arm to grab my collar and start working for a choke. A lot of the time people do this, they over commit and I can wrap their elbow, then I can sweep. The sweep I use looks a lot like Soto makikomi, just from the turtle. I wrapped his elbow and I think I could have said out loud, "This could hurt" and went for the sweep. This particular sweep has all his weight over your back for awhile. It took a lot of energy. You know how sometimes you will give a yell to get the last little bit of power? Well, not only did I do that, it was loud enough that every one in the gym pause to look over at us. Good thing I don't embarrass easy. We had to call it quits shortly after that because he cramped up. Couldn't blame him because a few weeks ago I felt the same way.

My half guard game seems to be revolving around a few options at this point: Old School, a driving sweep, plan B, the electric chair sweep and taking the back. I think I will stay with those options for awhile and just drill the hell out of them until I get nail them all high percentage.

No comments: