Translate

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Daily Submission

Last night, we worked on some options from "S Mount". I have mentioned before the love of naming things in the BJJ community, S mount is no exception. To me it was just part of your top control game and typically I just used it as a transition position. But I guess guys are using it offensively. We worked an armbar, a choke and and other transition to an armbar. To be honest, I didn't quite grasp it.

I rolled with a new guy last night. He is about my size and has been there longer than I have. As usual, I went with my half guard game. I swept him pretty quickly with Old School, but we had to pause after I cleared to side control as I had accidentally hit him in the eye. We restarted and I pulled half guard again. We wrestled around for a bit and then I managed to get the Electric chair sweep. I actually subbed him with the Electric Chair which was pretty cool. It was a first for me. We stopped for awhile because he wanted to learn how to do it, so I showed him.

Next I rolled with my 240 pound power lifter friend. I worked my half guard game again but having seen it last week he was a lot more prepared for it. I still managed to take his back from it once. I tried to do the armbar from the back, a move Eddie Bravo calls the swim move. Essentially, you hook his arm and then take your far side shin, put it on his neck and roll. He should roll over and you armbar him just as you would normally. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the weight to roll him. I ended up scrambling to half guard again. We stayed there awhile because I just couldn't get under hooks or on my side. He really used his weight well to control me. He tried an americana a few times which I defended. Eventually, I regained full guard, moved to Z guard and swept him. I finished with an armbar. It was a hell of a work out.

Next I rolled with Adam, my instructor. I hadn't rolled with him before. He pretty much beat me like a rented mule. I don't know how "good" I am but I know some tricks. It didn't matter besides being a BB under Marcus Soares, he is a Combat Submission wrestling and Shooto Instructor. Did I mention he is a Muay Thai Kru and a JKD/Kali instructor? Bottom line, he has been around the block and seen it all. At one point, he tried to take my back from half guard, I managed to sit out (rather nicely I thought) and he just flowed with me and took it anyway. At another point, I had passed to half guard but was to high to consolidate my position. Normally, I would spin to a knee bar but there was no way he was going to fall for that. While I was trying to think of something else, he swept me. We rolled for 5 maybe 10 minutes and he tapped my 4 times. It would have been more but he was toying with me.

No comments: