Translate

Friday, May 16, 2008

Daily Submission

Wednesday nights class was pretty solid. Adam like to show some fairly advanced moves in class. Considering his highest ranking students are a couple of blue belts, I kind of wonder at that approach. I think it hurts a lot of the less experienced guys because they are being taught basics, like how to properly pass guard. However, maybe he cycles through basics and some harder stuff and I just have happened to be there for the harder stuff. Who knows? Only time will tell I guess. The long and the short of it is that some of the techniques are ones that I am merely filing away for later after I get back up to speed in my grappling. I drill them when he shows them, file them away and then work on the things I know I need to work on. Like my half guard.

Half guard is really becoming one of my favorite places to be. I nailed another guy with the electric chair sweep but I didn't tap him this time with it this time. This guy was new to me but I think he has been going during the day mostly since I have been there. Probably the closest match to my skill level, and weight, I have rolled with since I have been with. It was nice to roll with a guy that I didn't dominate yet didn't dominate me. I did fairly well, with the sweep and I manged to take his back. I screwed up the swim move armbar again and ended up in guard. I went back to half guard and used my lockdown to control his leg. He could not escape my halfguard no matter what. eventually he grabbed a kimura and while he wasn't able to isolate it, I didn't want to give him the time. I manged to sweep him but he held on to the kimura and secured guard. I tapped pretty soon after that. He had me, no need to risk my shoulder.

I also worked with my powerlifting buddy, Damien. Damien tapped me for the first time since we started rolling. He managed an americana from inside my half guard. Last time he tried it, he couldn't lock it up, so I showed him how to bring the elbow down to ribs in order to secure the lock. This time he did it right and with his power, there was nothing I could do. While the competitive part of my likes to win these rolls, the teacher in my likes it when I can help some one progress. I did manage to armbar him once though :). Working with Damien has been great because I have been forced to really tighten up my technique. I just can't over power him and if I am a little sloppy he makes me pay. I tried 3 armbars from the guard against him and each time I was too slow extending. He stacked me and I had to release the technique.

I did manage to hurt my knee some time during the practice, so I am laid up a bit right now. I think I am going to give the knee an extra days rest and roll no gi on tuesday. We will see how that goes. Oh and I will be posting breakdowns of some of the fights for the upcoming UFC 84.

No comments: